Thursday, September 27, 2012

Discussion on Henrietta Lacks

  The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks novel may not be the most exciting because of some parts but I will say I found most of it interesting.  When reading the book I generated this strong opinion on doctors stealing her cells without signing a consent form.  I thought everyone wouuld believe that was a terrible thing to do; but in class most people disagreed with my opinion.  It was interesting to see how many people felt if a doctor takes a sample of something on your body, it's okay to do that without telling you as long as there's no harm caused.  Seriously?  I completely disagree with that.  Anything could go wrong with them taking a sample and it's a part of her body so she should always be fully aware.  I feel like the doctors didn't mention the sample to Henrietta on purpose because she was black and they felt like they could.  I remember the author, Rebecca Skloot; said the blacks didn't receive the same treatment as the whites did.  They would perform random things on the blacks because they felt they could get away with it without anyone taking a stand or knowing.  If anything is being taking out of me; even if it's just cells, I should know and give the doctors okay to do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment